Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Touring the Tarmac.

Yesterday was our first official day at the airport, and the first time we got to tour the different areas of our aircraft and see a bunch of the pieces we've been learning about up close. The Tarmac is a secure area, so to gain access we had to get our special badges and run 8 people through security doors in the time it should take one person to enter. We were quite a sight to see right outside the baggage claim running through the doors with our instructors saying "hurry, hurry, go, go, go!".

When we finally got outside, it was such an awesome moment. We walked out onto the Tarmac at the perfect time when the sun is about to set, and the light shining off of the planes was just beautiful. Texie and I both had such an awesome feeling out there. She leaned over to me and said, "what do you think? You feel right?" I nodded yes, and she said "I can tell, you've got a big smile on your face." I didn't realize how much that moment would mean to me. Being outside with the planes and watching the hustle and bustle of the runway, I just took it all in. I'll never forget the sun in my eyes, and the fullness in my heart. I wish I had a photo but I'll just have keep the memory in my mind.

When we finally got onto the plane we learned a bit about each station, and what tools belonged where. We enjoyed laughing with our instructors and seeing the things we will be doing in a few short weeks! I tried to just take it all in and listen, but of course I can hardly ever do anything without embarrassing myself. During our lesson on the Forward Galley, our lead instructor asked me to open one of the special overhead bins we use to stow tools, and I couldn't open it. It took two people doing it in front of me before I could do it myself... I'm blaming nerves. But really, what flight attendant can't open up an overhead bin?? Oh well surely my instructor has forgotten by now.. Right?

The coolest moment on the aircraft for me was standing in the aisle, looking out at all of the seats and practicing walking with my hands on the safety rails up top, and imagining myself doing this job and spending days in the sky. It seems small, but from wanting this for so long, in the scheme of things, it was big. It was a day that started to make all of this feel real.

After we got a tour of the cockpit we got to take a few photos before exiting the plane. So of course I'll share them with y'all here.













No comments:

Post a Comment